Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sounded like a good idea at the time

Recently and friend and I have decided it would be a good idea to start running, first let me give you some background. I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight for some time and as I am getting closer the 30 than I would like to admit I feel that it is starting to get life threatening being over weight (roughly 25 kilos). There is a lot of history in my family of heart attacks so I think it’s time to lose the weight before. My friend Ray and I play D&D every Monday night ( I know I’m a geek but can’t help it) and 3 weeks ago we decided that we would compete in a Race next January 26th distance 4K and that we would train together every weekend leading up to the race. So for the last 3 Saturdays I have risen very early in the morning and gone for a 20 minute walk/run with Ray. Things have been going well and I am finding it easier every week, also I have started running during the week as well but I go a little easier during the week, Ray unfortunately set’s a very fast pace due to the fact that he is quite taller than me so has longer legs. I have found a new love though as I have really started to enjoy my runs in the morning. Also have lost a little over two Kilo’s since we started to run so hopefully this will put an end to my Fat Ass. My wife has also been encouraging me a lot and on Monday this week forked out the money for a new pair of Asics running shoes which has the world of difference was running in a pair of $20.00 Dunlop’s that were two sizes to big so had very sore feet after each run.

Current Weight = 98
Starting weight = 101.4

Goal = 77

2 comments:

Harley Warren said...

You thought it was hard till now, i have started to train outside our little Saturday realm and now expect you to go a little harder. I want us to both be able to finish this race in january with more in the tank, and most of all I'd like to see my best friend live past 30.

Katie said...

Good on you John... 2kg is 4 tubs of margarine! You will get there... you just have to be patient and remeber calories in and calories out!! I hear you were lurking in my blog... busted :-) A few more kg in the right direction will make running a heap easier.